Saturday, February 25, 2012

Recap

I know I've neglected to post this week. I talked about the bout, but I've had scrimmage, team practice, and skills practice since then. Scrimmage hurt. Tuesday hurt. In fact, I felt way worse after each than I did after the bout. I've adjusted my skates, so I've been all over the place. I collided with Rosie during scrimmage. Also there seems have to been a lot of high blocks lately. I've been hit in the face a few times. And once in the ear. Not only are these hits illegal, but they suck. After getting hit in the ear, I had to sit out a few jams.

After my little PSA, I have a actual message for my readers. When I first started derby, I thought I wanted to be a jammer. You know, get the glory. But I'm neither a tall and skinny girl nor a small and sneaky one. And after the first time 25 in 5 kicked my ass, I thought, "Maybe I'm more suited for being a blocker." But I worked hard and continually improved. I got new skates and shaved more time off my 25 in 5. And now I'm one of the jammers for my team. One of my coaches told me I've gotten really fast. I managed to get lead jammer over and score on one of the A-team's strongest jammers. I was floored.

So I just want you to understand that whatever it is that gives you trouble, don't give up. Keep working and one day, you'll pass that 25 in 5, or execute a 180 knee-fall, or complete a turning toe stop. Derby is the greatest sport in the world because no matter what your background, you belong with us. If you played sports all your life, that's cool. But if you never played sports at all, that's cool too. From those who hold onto the walls to those who can crossover their first practice, derby accepts all. It's a wholly empowering sport. And I'm so happy to be a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment