Sunday, June 15, 2014

My ECDX Packing List

ECDX is just a few, short days away (ok, long days) (ok, really long days), and I could not be more excited. A teammate asked me what was on my packing list, and I offered to do a blog post list. Sorry I didn't do it sooner, Daphne!

So here goes.

1. My team's jerseys: We are fortunate enough to be skating in a sanctioned game this year, but even if we weren't, I would have them. You never know if you'll meet a team who has an open spot for a scrimmage later in the year or re-connect with someone who visited a practice of your team's. Plus if you're caught spectating, you betta represent your team.

2. Black, white, and coloured scrimmage shirts: Seriously. I had black, white, red, blue, yellow, pink, and maybe purple. I skated in the Sunday am scrimmage and then like 2 fun challenge bouts just because I had the right colors.

3. Swimsuit: I was deeply saddened by the news of the pool closing this year, but there'll be a slip n slide or something. Somebody's hotel has a pool. We're going swimming!

4. Cash: Almost every vendor has some kind of card reader, but you will run across one that doesn't. And probably because you really want to buy their neon Canadian shirts. Do yourself a favor and bring some cash. There is one ATM in the building and it's expensive and probably has a line.

5. Something to wear to the Pants Off Dance Off: Saturday night, roller derby takes over a bar in PA and doesn't wear pants. Consider this in your packing. Also, beware the regulars. They do not seem to understand derby or why no one is wearing pants.

6. Snacks: If you're skating, or even if you're not, you might want something other than what the concession stand offers. Philly does a great job putting on the event and they do their best to get vendors out, there's even a food truck. But if you've got some weird habits/schedules, bring some granola bars or crackers with you. And a big water bottle.

7. Phone: But not to use as a phone. I've said it before, I'll say it again. You will NOT get service in the Plex. You just won't. I missed a call from my mom on my birthday last year. BUT your phone simultaneously takes pictures and allows you to write notes. It is much easier to carry than a camera and a notebook, unless you're into that stuff.

8. Whiteboard: I think we're trying to find a whiteboard to bring to write messages on. It's like a poster, but we can erase it and make a new message!

9. Schedule: Ok, so I'm buying a commemorative program. I have done so at every tournament I've been to, and I intend to continue. But if you don't want to spring for that, I'd suggest printing the bout schedule so you know when to be where.

10. A buddy: Bring a friend. Last year, my derby wife saved us seats for Team USA v Team Canada while we watched Windy v Philly. With less than half a hour between some of the big games, it's invaluable to have some such comrade. Also helpful is having a place to store your gear if you're skating. If you're in the suicide seats, there's not really a place for it, so under a bleacher or in a forgotten about corner is good.

11. Something to spray down your gear: We skate both days, early. So if I don't find a place for my gear to dry, it's going to sit in the bag all day until we go back to the hotel. Luckily I have some anti-funk spray that I'm going to hit it with first.

That's all I've got for now. If you've additional suggestions, post them below! Not, get ready, get psyched and I'll see you at the Plex!

No comments:

Post a Comment