Sunday, November 7, 2010

16 Practices, Guys!

Once again, creating this post to remind myself to blog. I will later. My boyfriend's asking the computer of me.

Ok, now for some posting.

So, I set an alarm for 5 til 8 for this morning. I woke up and shut off the alarm and continue to lay in bed awhile, then I decided to look at the clock and it said 8:43. I was all, "Hell, wtf? No coffee for me, gotta. Go. Now." But then I looked at my phone, which said it was 7:43. I thought my boyfriend had sabotaged me. I later realized it was Daylight Saving Time. I apologized to Josh later for accusing him.

DERBY this morning. Well first of all, it was freeeeeeezing in the warehouse. For once, I was cold. But only the parts of me that touched the floor.

Lucy Kwipment led practice. She's...well, she's been offskates for about 3 months, due a knee injury (torn ACL, ack!) and will be offskates probably for another 2 months. She doesn't plan to full-contact derby (children and all that), but will return to skates to help with training. I told her she ought to start helping with assessments, so she can hit newbies. She's also one of the founding members of the league. Which is super cool.

We did some stuff involving drops and hops. My reverse-derby direction crossovers are getting better. We did some other non-memorable drills. We did SO MUCH WORK with whips. Lucy was explaining hip whips. She said, "Grab her like you're going to ass-fuck her." So that made Sunday morning more interesting. There seems to be a lot of standing up. I'm still kind of sore from Thursday, so I was doing some of that.

And then Lucy said those infamous words. Well, not immediately. She said, "Ok, let's split up and do 5 laps in a minute. Then let's do 5 in 25. Wait...whoa. I mean 25 in 5." Still, 25 in 5. Those are the words.

I haven't done 25 in 5 as an individual in a few weeks. The last 2 times we've done it as a pack. And the last time I did 25 in 5, I was still using my sneaker skates. I don't know if I've discussed my previous skates. But they have rubber wheels. There is no coasting to happen. I stop pushing, I stop moving. Anyway, so, this was my first individual 25 in 5 in my Sure Grips, and my time came in 4:46 (I think). I lay down in the middle and almost cried. Seriously. That was such a big relief. Now if I can do it again, next Sunday, AND manage to do stuff afterward.

At the end of practice, we had introduction circle/cool down. Some of the grannies did not know us all. I gave my name and intended derby name and it was well-received. I've been to 16 practices as of today (and I'll be going to scrimmage tomorrow night!), and will soon get to submit my name.

No comments:

Post a Comment