Saturday, January 21, 2012

Easyriders Demos

Whoo. Today was brutal. Almost 3 hours of derby spread out all day.

Sin sent out an email this morning about the floor. She told us it was polished concrete, but slicker than our warehouse and to bring our grippiest wheels. HO-LY crap. It was like ice skating.

And our demos were up against lingerie fashion shows, so while we drew crowds, it was difficult to keep them.

I actually did not have as much of a problem with the floor as some. Some of us were all over the floor. During the first demo, I stayed upright mostly. But when I went down, I went down HARD. My first fall had me sprawled out on the floor, and both elbows still hurt. A fall in the second round had me landing on the top of my shoulder.

As the day went on, I got more tired, but more used to the floor. There was a corps of skaters who were there for all 3 demos. I pushed myself. Past my breaking point. I jammed when I didn't feel up to it. I jammed in all 3 demos, I'm pretty sure. I kept my feet moving. I made smart calls and mostly executed good blocks.

I only went to the penalty box twice in the three demos. And both were as I was getting tired. The first was at the very end of the second demo. I think it was a backblock. And sometime in the third demo, I went to the box on a cut major. That was strictly because I was tired. Psy*Ren hit me out around Turn 3 and when I tried to come back in, I thought she was with the pack, I didn't even see her waiting for me.

Later one of the refs told me that it was actually a cut minor and he apologized for calling it a major. I was also told there was a jam where it was reported I scored 0 points, when I'd actually scored 5. I forgot what it's like to play derby in a warm environment. I was sweating. I couldn't see straight at times.

I tried to take hits to the best of my ability, I broke up walls whenever possible, and I found reserves of strength in me to get through the pack. Many times I saw holes and just ran for it. I'm pretty proud of what I did today and only hope I can apply that in the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment