Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Mustachioed Narwhals

So...it's been a while since I posted. Here's why. It was the final day of classes. Exams start tomorrow. It's bout week (it's always bout week). I haven't started registration for the fall. I've been busy to speak shortly.

Since my last post, I've bouted once more and am rostered for this Saturday (it just went out). After Saturday, I will have bouted 4 times, breaking me out of our definition of "New Granny." And on Sunday, after the bout, Race City is hosting an open scrimmage in which I'll be participating. After the AIDS Walk. After bouting. Oh yeah. It's happening.

My skating has come a long way lately. I'm a consistent jammer for my team, which is something both exciting and scary. I've also had a lot of triumphs with blocking lately. Last night on scrimmage, I was ALWAYS on the other jammer. We did A vs A and B vs B, so we skated against the same people over and over. I was frequently all over Sibel. I knocked her down time and time again. I was told by a coach that I'm reminiscent of one of our A-team players. A skater who is a personal idol of mine. He mentioned this because he feels I'm truly a double threat in that I can both jam and block effectively. I have been getting kind of sad when I don't jam, but maybe I should remember that blockers are just as important to the game.

I still need to work on not going to the outside as a jammer. As a blocker, I'm more comfortable there, so when I jam, it's where I go. Sometimes a jammer asks me to clear the inside and I look at them like, "What do you mean? I will give you the outside all day." But I do think that I do a good job staying on the track and upright. I usually do not get knocked out of bounds.

I think I am done with this post for now. Too tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment