Monday, June 25, 2012

Heat and Water

So I've mentioned that I live in Charlotte. And that I practice in an unairconditioned warehouse. It's really important to hydrate, but replenishing electrolytes is also important. I've studied the subject a little and I know that there's a lot of words I don't understand involved in the science, but I understand the principles.

Exercise takes a lot out of the human body. Drinking water is good, but it's not enough. If you're leaving sweat stains on the floor, you should probably replenish.

There's a lot of science to how much you need. You shouldn't try to over-replenish. Your body naturally refuels on its own. If you try to put too much in, your body will totally stop refueling.

When most people think electrolytes, they think Gatorade. But it's far from the only option. Coconut water is gaining notoriety these days, but I have a big problem with it. Coconut water tastes disgusting. Luckily they come in delightful flavors. I like O.N.E. Coconut Water's Pink Guava flavor. There's a flavor for everyone.

My other favorite option is a powder. I tried a couple different ones before I discovered Ultima. It's sold at the Healthy Home Market (I haven't found it anywhere else yet) and comes in several flavors. My favorite is grape. The different flavors do have different levels of electrolytes though. It's sweetened with stevia and natural flavors. Instructions say to add it to 8-12 oz of water, but that's a little strong for me. I add it to my 25 oz water bottle and go.

The difference between when I replenish electrolytes and when I don't is noticeable. It's the difference between feeling engaged and present in practice instead of feeling sluggish.

If you've found other ways to hydrate and replenish, let me know. I'm happy to try out other things!

No comments:

Post a Comment