Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Bah!

This is going to be the loooooooongest post ever. I have posted since April. There's been another home bout AND I've returned to practicing since then. Geez.

For the month of May, I asked if I could be allowed to attend Open Skates to ease back into skating. But Open Skates happened before scrimmage (when I had work) and occasionally on Saturday mornings (when I had work). But then I lost my job, so I have a lot more free time.

I returned to practice last Thursday. It's all kind of a haze. I was unsteady on my skates, I had trouble with derby position...but I made it through all of practice. I felt like I was gonna be sick, but I kept pushing, and I did not vomit. Yay! I did notice that I still have some trouble with being too fast in pacelines, so not everything was forgotten. Haha.

Also, I was the sorest mofo for the following 2 days. Or maybe more. But it was a good sore, an I-worked-out-and-used-muscles-that-have-been-dormant-for-months sore. I don't remember anything in particular. We did the usual drills, push-carts/chariots, pacelines...We also did this cool drill, as packs. One pack started at the pivot line, the other at turn 3. The goal was to pass the other pack, as a pack. So we had to keep our pack together, but our speed up. My pack was the bomb diggidy. We passed the other pack several times. We repeated the drill and passed them some more.

And then I attended Open Skate on Monday before scrimmage. It  was really helpful actually. Jack was helping her mentee with some of the skills, so then everybody else joined in too. I realized I can still do a 6-point fall and a baseball slide. Also a single-knee 180 degree fall. I also did a little bit of sprinting, on my own terms. I fought through the slipping and crossed over. I even did a few laps in the optimum path, crossing over the whole way.

My job for scrimmage was supposed to be error tracking, but I've been moved to hotboard. Which means I'm super important and in the middle. But not jam-timing, which I did last scrimmage. Anyway, it'll be great fun

So please everyone, come out this Saturday evening to Grady Cole Center. You can buy your tickets from Common Market (either location), The Sleepy Poet, The Last Word, Tutti, or your favorite roller girl! Tickets are $10 adult/$5 children in advance or $14 adult/$7 children day of. However there might not be any tickets at the door, so get your tickets now! Doors at 5:30 pm, bout at 6 pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment