Friday, June 10, 2011

Last Night

Last night I went to practice. Duhr-hur. One of the newbies who started the same time as me, who has ALSO been out for a number of months came back last night. It was really good to see her.

Fister was training. I don't even remember all the torture she put us through. There were pacelines and leaning and weaving and racing...

One drill in particular, Fister paired those of us assessing up with the grannies in attendance. It was a weaving drill. The grannies were on the inside, newbies on the outside. We had to skate next to each other, almost touching thighs. When we got to the back of line, the granny was to start weaving through to "prom dates." The newbie was to race around the outside of the prom dates. We were ideally supposed to meet up at the front. The first time we weaved, Les (my partner, Les Whip-It) beat me to the front. The second time, we got there at about the same time. I thought I was gonna beat her, but I didn't...

We did the pacing drill. Where a granny skates and then slows down or stops randomly. We have to be close enough behind her to touch, and then she starts skating. I only overtook her maybe 4 times, but I can attribute several of those to me being distracted. I get distracted by like squirrels. I was getting distracted by other groups and by Rosie almost running into me... But still, Les said I did well. And that for assessments, it would be better to do what I did, which was skate to the side of her, rather than run into her back.

At some point, we did a drill where we held the inside line and looked over our right shoulder. I guess we overall were abysmal at this, because Fister sent the grannies to herd us. Literally, herd us. They skated beside us to "encourage" us back onto the green line.

We also did butt-pushes. I like pushes. I am good at pushes. My partner was a newbie named Sandra (Sandra T, as there are 2 newbie Sandras). I don't know if she'd done pushes before, she was a little hesitant. But we rocked them together. However we both were having skate difficulties, anticipating blisters. After we did partner-pushes, we did free-for-all pushes. We just skated and pushed people and simultaneously got pushed. I accomplished my goal of pushing Da Bomb-Chell, who is very fast. Pushing her involved catching up to her and THEN pushing her. However I kind of felt dizzy and thusly stopped skating for a few, only to notice my blood sugar was low. I was shaking a little. Fister asked me what was up and I told her. So she told me that she had candy in her purse and to get a piece so I wouldn't die.

So I did. But then it was stretching time. Practice ran a little long, so understandably, I am sore today. Not too bad, but I can deffs feel it.

No comments:

Post a Comment