Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Some Updates

Now that's it been forever, I will attempt to recount Saturday's bout and Sunday's practice. And open skate last night, I guess.

We were playing Greenville. It was a doubleheader. I got to Grady Cole at 10 am. Well...not quite, I was late. Which was sucky. I woke up at 9:43.

I was doing sign-in. So after the late 10 am stragglers trickled in, there was nothing for me to do. I heckled with the "All Bitch, No Stitch" sewing circle (aka the skaters sewing WFTDA patches on jerseys). I hung with McBossy. I did nothing involving sport court or rubber and I was thankful. Greenville arrived and we had no sign-in sheet for them. So we wound up having them check in on a recycled sheet of paper and had them fill out their waivers.

I was doing the hot board duty, which is important because it lets the skaters know how many penalties they have. That was all well and fine until McB told me I had to switch to penalty tracking for the All Star bout. I've never penalty tracked. She said, "But you're doing it now basically." She also said, "We just love to throw you into jobs in high pressure situations." (Hearkening back to my being jam timer a couple of scrimmages ago.)

Both the B Dazzlers and the All-Stars won their bouts, many congrats to those ladies. Also, thanks to Greenville for making both bouts interesting and hard-fought.

Especially congrats to Hellin Felon (my mentor) on her MVP Blocker award.

Practice on Sunday was led by a hurtin Rosie. She went out after the afterparty. We worked on some basic stuff, but it was really good. Like we worked on our form for plow and t-stops. And we had partners give us feedback. I thought this was a fantastic way of doing it, because we aren't always able to get feedback on how we're doing.

We also worked on transitioning from skating front to backwards and vice versa. And I fell. A lot. And I bruised my knee. Apparently I've depressed the padding on my knee pads so much so that they move around on my knee. It's not that they've stretched out, it's the padding thing. So I'm buying new ones. I'm getting 187s. I'm purchasing them from a friend who quit derby so she's gonna sell them to me cheap. Yay Shelley!

So then I went to Open Skate last night. And I practice pacing with Hellin and stops and other fun stuff. I also helped Sandra because she was unsure of some stuff. And then I just kind of skated with Nita, which was cool too.

Anyway, I felt ready for assessments.


Up Next: Assessments.

No comments:

Post a Comment